Through a stroke of luck I recently won an Xbox 360 with Kinect for my family. We’ve owned a Wii for several years, and been very happy with it, but there always seemed to be certain games that wouldn’t come out for the Wii, and were only available on the XBox or PlayStation3. Though I couldn’t have afforded to purchase this right now, I am glad we’ve gotten it.
So far we have 3 games, all purchased used.
1) Batman: Arkham Asylum. This and Arkham City are the biggest reason I was so happy to get the Xbox. My son and I are both enjoying this game, though I like the sneaking around and being stealthy part of playing, while he prefers jumping in the middle of a bunch of folks and punching and kicking away.
2) Dragon Age: Origins. I’ve heard good things about this game series, though I’m not sure which titles among the series are good, and which are bad. I haven’t gotten far enough into this yet, though some of the cut scenes are a bit long.
3) Dance Central. Though I haven’t played this one much, it may be the best reason for having the Kinect. It’s great watching the kids try to keep up with the dancers, and even better to watch the freestyle segments which the Xbox records and then plays back at double or triple speed. The whole family gets a good laugh watching these. The laughter seemed a little louder during my dance, and the score a little lower.
And here are a few other games on my short list of games to pick up when I can afford them. I’m sure the kids will be picking up some other titles when they have money, but these are the games I want to play.
1) Arkham City: Already mentioned above.
3) LA Noire: I was watching someone play through this game on YouTube, and while they never finished it, I really liked how the game played and so I’d like to give it a try.
4) Portal2: Very popular game, and looks like it could be fun, bit of a puzzle learning to use the portals to accomplish your tasks.
5) Skyrim: How could an RPG guy like me not want to play this game?
I’m sure there are a lot of other games I’d love to play, but that’s my short list.
And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how I won the Xbox. The contest was run by the good folks at Geek and Sundry. The faces of Geek and Sundry are Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton, but I also must thank Sasha who I expect did most of the legwork in getting my prize to me.
My deepest thanks to all of them, and you really should take some time to follow those links. I especially enjoy Felicia’s Flog on Mondays, and Tabletop, hosted by Wil Wheaton, which shows actual play of tabletop games every other Friday
If you’d like to recommend some games I’d enjoy for the Xbox, leave a comment below!
Peace, Love, and Bacon Grease!