When I first started thinking about ideas for different days, I almost immediately put Bucket List as a possibility for today, then I had decided to do something else. Well, last night, I actually saw “The Bucket List” and so I had to change back. So here are my top 5 bucket list items:
1) Play Dungeons and Dragons with Wil Wheaton. There are actually a number of names that could have completed that sentence. Artists, writers, game designers, and other celebrities of geek culture were all considered, but in the end, Wil topped the list.
2) Spend a week on the Appalachian Trail. At one time I thought I might want to hike the trail from end to end, but reading many books about the trip made me realize I don’t know that I could give up the comforts of home for such a long journey. The trail is still important enough to me that I’d like spend some time exploring it some day.
3) Raise Bees. Possibly the most easily accomplished item on my list. I’d like to raise bees and use their honey in my own kitchen.
4) Drive Old Route 66. I chose Route 66 because it seemed a solid target, but the main idea is simply to spend several weeks on a slow cross-country drive, taking the time to see the sights and not just rush to some final destination.
5) Learn to Scuba Dive. I still love nature shows, but it really started with watching Jacques Cousteau. I’d love to learn to scuba dive and explore the world beneath the waves.
So there’s my list. There are some things that I hope to see in my lifetime but I didn’t put on this list. I want to see my son earn his Eagle Scout Award, see both of my children graduate from first high school, then college, dance at my daughter’s wedding (my son’s too, but there’s something different when it is your daughter). Those accomplishments will be my children’s though, and my place in them will simply be to know that I had some part in raising them, and so those items don’t belong on my bucket list.
Of course, a week from now there might be different items on the list. For example, my recent efforts in wood working with my son have me wanted to build a mission style couch, and that would probably be item 6 if I added one more to this list, but let’s leave it at 5 for now and perhaps we’ll add to it, or change it for next year’s challenge.